[OSM-talk] Overpass API - Fetching countries, their capitals, and their borders

Léo El Amri leo at superlel.me
Tue Aug 13 21:41:56 UTC 2019

Hello,

I'm trying to fetch countries, their borders, and their capitals through
Overpass API, but the server never replies to me (With a timeout:3600
setting, the server reply with a 502 error after a while).
I'm only a beginner with this API, so maybe my request is not efficient:

(
  node[place=city];
  node[place=town];
)->.a;
rel[boundary=administrative][admin_level=2]->.b;
(
  node[place=country];
  node.a[capital=yes];
  way[boundary=administrative][admin_level=2];
  .b;
  .b >;
)->.o;
.o out body;

What am I doing wrong ? (Should I use another tool for this purpose ?)

Cordially,
Léo