[OSM-talk] sending location from a smart phone.

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Sun Aug 18 03:26:02 UTC 2019

This feels like an interesting side project for OSM to keep its hands warm, rubbing over the campfire, ready to toss in a shoulder of help if needed.  Warin (below) says "a few years" yet I think with some good communication, coordination among countries, 112 / E911 / 999 communities, mutual aid / volunteer fire departments, writers / coders of iOS and Android apps, this could really turn into something reasonably effective in a year or less.  A 1.0 that works worldwide and is extensible to any country (depending on phone / cellular / G3-G4-G5 tech, whether the call center can handle SMS, whether the helicopter pilot and rescue team have data delivery systems that show them a map or visually / aurally read a string of lat-lon digits — not helpful, a visual map is usually immediately human-parsable) seems quite feasible to me.

By 2020.  Nice discussion.  Thank you for introducing the topic, John.  May it continue and blossom.

SteveA