[OSM-talk] nomoj de internaciaj objektoj / nazwy obiektów międzynarodowych ? names of international objects

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 01:54:21 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 6. Dec 2019, at 15:16, pangoSE <pangose at riseup.net> wrote:
>
> I believe that we should deprecate all wikipedia links as they are just potentially obsolete cruft that can be inferred from the wikidata item. (I am also an editor of Wikidata)
>
> If you really want the Wikipedia link displayed fix your editor to fetch the local wikipedia link (if any) for your local language in addition to the label and description.

I know that people are assuming that a wikipedia article in language x has approximately the same content as another one in language y that is linked to it, but this is not the case. There are often significant differences, even if many articles are translations from the English version. Wikidata is another thing. It all started with one wikidata object for every article, but as the project grows and people edit it (yes, not only bots are editing wikidata), their objects get split and refined (subgroups of objects). A common example are settlements. In wikipedia, political and socio-geographic entities are often covered in the same article (or they are combined in one language and split in another). In wikidata (and even more in OpenStreetMap), these tend to get split over several objects. Wikipedia tends to aggregate several aspects of a thing into one article, wikidata tends to separating the concepts.

If someone adds a wikipedia link for something, you can see by the language which specific article she has read and linked (confirmed). It does not automatically imply that all wikipedia articles in other languages would also fit for the OpenStreetMap object that has gotten the tag. Even less for wikidata (which usually only deals with part of an article, which is not necessarily the one which fits for the object).

Just have a look, it happens all the time, another typical case for issues are buildings and things inside the buildings (museums, governments, whatever). Maybe it is less of an issue with natural places (mountains, seas, etc), but in the cultural world it is almost ubiquitous.

Cheers Martin