[OSM-talk] Ways divided by paint?

Tom Pfeifer t.pfeifer at computer.org
Wed Jul 3 21:07:48 UTC 2019

On 03.07.2019 22:03, Jack Armstrong Dancer--- via talk wrote:
> I've always had the impression we should not create separate traffic lanes unless "traffic flows are
> physically separated by a barrier (e.g., grass, concrete, steel), which prevents movements between
> said flows."

Yes, I agree in general. Nearly all cases can be modelled with turn:lanes (and maybe change:lanes).

> https://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?changeset=70997250#map=20/39.57354/-104.98496

This case -- and the aerial image is necessary to understand it -- would be one of the few
exceptions where I would tolerate the current mapping of a separate lane for the left turn.
Otherwise a navigation engine would not be able to create the appropriate turn instruction at the
point where the lane forks off. A much more complicated data model would be necessary.

tom