[OSM-talk] Map of Population Density vs. OpenStreetMap density

Pierre Béland pierzenh at yahoo.fr
Sun Jul 7 00:45:29 UTC 2019

Speaking more generally,
Populatation is growing fast in Africa and many african countries dont have the resources to organize regular census. See the UN Statistics Division record of last census by country https://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/sources/census/censusdates.htm
This means that quality vary from one country to the other and that often we lack good info about distribution of population in the various countries.  The OSM building mapping projects are often used for population estimates.

Pierre

    Le samedi 6 juillet 2019 20 h 08 min 09 s UTC−4, Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski <me at komzpa.net> a écrit :

 Hi,
On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 4:09 PM Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org> wrote:

On Fri, July 5, 2019 2:40 pm, Christoph Hormann wrote:

> One warning:  All global population data sets that exist are rough
> estimates with usually significant systematic biases and errors.  For
> example in Switzerland the data set you used sees high population
> density in mountain areas with no basis in reality.

Same in rural Senegal. Low-resolution population data I guess.

Can you point to a specific place please?

What would be the population dataset that you would recommend for Senegal?_______________________________________________
talk mailing list
talk at openstreetmap.org