[OSM-talk] handling street names in speech

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Jul 16 21:16:54 UTC 2019

John Whelan <jwhelan0112 at gmail.com> writes:

> One or two are problematic usually as the street name is an
> abbreviation.    For example 1e Avenue in French meaning First Avenue.
>
> Any suggestions on how these should be handled?  This particular
> application is aimed at partially sighted people but I feel we should
> be able to come up with a generic solution.

Two comments:

  osm norms are to expand abbreviations, as I understand it.  So that
  should be fixed first

  Even after that, we have ref tags, and there is often a road whose ref
  is something like "CT 2", "US 1", or "I 95".  I don't really think
  this should be expanded in the database.  Instead, what's needed is a
  table in the application, perhaps centrally maintained in OSM, of how
  to pronounce standardize ref abbreviations.  Putting phonetics of
  "connecticut" on all use of CT or the expanded name is not reasonable.

But I agree this needs help.  I get told to turn on "Court 2" and "Ma
2".  Luckily I understand this by now and it actually works ok.  But it
does need fixing.