[OSM-talk] handling street names in speech

Andrew Errington erringtona at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 22:54:37 UTC 2019

I think this is a rendering issue (i.e. rendering speech instead of
graphics) and as such does not belong in OSM.

The work to convert an arbitrary string into speech belongs in the TTS
engine.

If we start putting IPA strings in OSM then we will start getting arguments
about the "correct" pronunciation. At the very least it is tagging for the
renderer, which we should avoid.

IMHO, of course.

Andrew