[OSM-talk] handling street names in speech

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 07:29:01 UTC 2019

Mapping for the renderer means: adding factually wrong data such that it
renders the way the mapper wants to see it getting rendered (on the
standard rendering).

That's not what adding IPA strings would do. True, there are multiple ways
to pronounce certain words.

Unfortunately TTS is not perfect and it never will be, for one thing
because it's often difficult to decide with TTS (which language) to use for
each word in a name string.

If OsmAND were to support the use of IPA, then I would be motivated to
transcribe all Brussels's street names in Dutch and French. Standard common
denominator Dutch and French. It would be a lot nicer to listen to than the
letters A U X spelled separately in Dutch, instead of simply 'O', what
would be the French pronunciation of those 3 letters combined. Some of the
terms in those street names are actually English names. It's simply
impossible for TTS set to Dutch or French to get those right.

IPA would definitely solve that annoyance.

Polyglot