[OSM-talk] We need to have a conversation about attribution

Nuno Caldeira nunocapelocaldeira at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 22:39:00 UTC 2019

Months go by nothing happens. here's another example from LiveStream, a
Vimeo service.They have a map (example, press "i"
https://livestream.com/accounts/23202872/events/7200883 ) , asked to add
the attribution, they replied they do not use OSM tiles or data, which i
kindly asked how they had my contributions on their map. They stopped
replying, short after saying they would investigate.

Guess what tiles they are using? Mapbox. Screenshot
https://i.ibb.co/0njPFyy/ssdasd.jpg

Does OSMF need these corporates member that keep acting like this? Who
are the first not complying with what the community wanted when we
switched from CC to ODbL? Still the board hasn't replied to my request
to terminate Facebook license
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2019-June/082653.html

Funnily, Facebook shared this today
https://tech.fb.com/ai-is-supercharging-the-creation-of-maps-around-the-world/

As a reminder of OSMF articles
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Articles_of_Association

>     OBJECTS
>
> 3. The Foundation is established for the purposes listed below:
>
>     (1) encouraging the growth, development and distribution of free
>     geospatial data; and
>     (2) providing geospatial data for anybody to use and share.

Are these companies encouraging the use, the growth and distribution of
OSM, by repeatedly and after being asked several times to show the
attribution?

Do we need to ask the board to expel those corporate members (equivalent
to associate member)?

> 18. The board may only resolve to expel a person as member or
> associate member if, in the board's reasonable opinion, that person's
> conduct interferes or is likely to interfere with the Foundation
> _*achieving one or more of its objects*_.

Who's in need more of who? OpenStreetMap or these companies? this is not
acceptable and OSMF needs to act as companies, their clients clearly do
not care when contributors contact them asking to comply. This is a
snowball going downhill with more and more companies doing what facebook
does and not attribution and stop replying to the contributors request
to add the attribution. Guess we or OSMF is too soft on this.

When we switch this was plain and explicit:
*Both licenses are “By Attribution”* and “Share Alike”.

>     Can I trust the OpenStreetMap Foundation ?
>
> The Foundation is "dedicated to encouraging the growth, development
> and distribution of free geospatial data and to providing geospatial
> data for anybody to use and share.", ( http://www.osmfoundation.org ).
>
> But what happens if the Foundation is taken over by people with
> commercial interests?
>
>   * You still own the rights to any data you contribute, not the
>     Foundation. In the new Contributor Terms, you license the
>     Foundation to publish the data for others to use and ONLY under a
>     free and open license.
>
>   * The Foundation is not allowed to take your contribution and
>     release it under a commercial license.
>
>   * If the Foundation fails to publish under only a free and open
>     license, it has broken its contract with you. A copy of the
>     existing data can be made and released by a different body.
>
>   * If a change is made to another free and open license, it is active
>     contributors who decide yes or no, not the Foundation.

from
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Historic/We_Are_Changing_The_License#What_are_the_main_differences_between_the_old_and_the_new_license.3F