[OSM-talk] Facebook mapping highways using AI in collaboration with OpenStreetMap

Nuno Caldeira nunocapelocaldeira at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 10:11:17 UTC 2019

> > Whoever reads this and does not have deeper insights into the workings
> of the OSMF must get into the impression that HOT is an official part
> of the OSMF / OpenStreetMap, i.e. OSM is collaborating with FB.
>
> Well that very well might be true about perception. But Facebook did
> not say that OSMF was supporting the project. They representing
> correctly. We all here get the difference and understand that HOT is a
> different organization. Making this distinction is not Facebook's
> problem, but rather HOT and OSMF should do a better job explaining the
> complexity of the whole universe of OSM.

I'm sure Facebook are not aware of it, like they are not Corporate
members of OSMF. If they can't simple understand and comply with the
attribution, it's sure a third party duty to elucidate outsiders of the
OSM the differences between those two.

Also about the attribution, some of their maps (not all, some still do
not have attribution) since yesterday are displaying this attribution
after clicking on the "i" https://i.ibb.co/mvxRgg4/facebook.jpg . Can
someone explain them that the required attribution is “© OpenStreetMap
contributors” and not “© OpenStreetMap”. There's plenty of space to show
it properly as "Report a problem with the map" is longer than “©
OpenStreetMap contributors”. I would do it myself, but they stopped
replying to my emails. Maybe they are not aware how to properly
attribute, must be someone else's duty to explain.