[OSM-talk] Facebook mapping highways using AI in collaboration with OpenStreetMap

Mikel Maron mikel.maron at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 10:37:42 UTC 2019

>"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salarydepends upon his not understanding it."
Ok it's a pithy quote. Is it possible that however well written, this quote may not always be right? that it's difficult but not impossible to get a man or woman to understand something, despite their position? and that my salary does not depend on me avoiding thinking freely about this project?
Seeing that none of you arguing with me in this thread know me personally, I think it's extremely presumptuous that you think you understand me.
> I think it's unfair to accuse Christoph of being uninformed.
Is it unfair that Christoph accuses me of being in a cult?
I did not accuse Christoph of being uninformed. But the general argument here certainly is -- about the capability of people involved in OSM in a corporate way having no ability to think in another frame; or that even the corporate frame can not encompass other viewpoints, only profit.
-Mikel

* Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron

    On Friday, July 26, 2019, 01:18:11 PM GMT+3, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com> wrote:

 The most well-know version is from Upton Sinclair's campaign to become
governor of California in the 1930's:

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary
depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair - See
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/11/30/salary/

Upton Sinclair is most famous for writing "The Jungle" as a young man.

> "enough with the division of OSM along these blunt, uninformed lines"

I think it's unfair to accuse Christoph of being uninformed. From what
I've read over the past year, he appears to be one of the few
individuals who are informed about the goings-on between the OSMF
board and corporations, who is not actually a member of either body.