[OSM-talk] Wikibase items instead of usual templates for wiki pages?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sun Jun 9 14:34:38 UTC 2019

9 Jun 2019, 13:59 by joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com:

> When I edited the pages to add the description to the usual template
> (the ValueDescription template), I was surprised to see that this box
> was missing. I ended up reverting the last edits which removed the
> box, so that I could edit it.

It was an isolated edit and reverting it was correct. Introducing
"wikibase data items" was discussed a bit, but there was never an agreement
to start deleting content from article pages.

I strongly oppose such deletions and requiring people to use
data items that are harder to edit. At least it was an isolated human-made edit,
not large scale destruction.

> Perhaps it happened before I was involved with OSM? I
> don't quite understand how it works.

This is a recent development, it appeared in September 2018[1].

I found https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki#Wikibase <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Talk:Wiki#Wikibase>
linked from
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Data_items&oldid=1652163 <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Data_items&oldid=1652163>

Note that it was initially described as
"We are only trying to improve this wiki's Key:* and Tag:* pages", it was not supposed
to involve damaging of OSM Wiki pages, or at least this plan was well hidden
(if I would knew that  it is planned I would strongly oppose from start).

Description of wikibase data items (rather confusing to me):

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Data_items <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Data_items>

It works like Wikidata. Some believe that it is a significant benefit, other dislike it for the same reason.

[1] "Enabled in a read-only mode" on September 18.