[OSM-talk] Terminate Facebook rights under ODbL

Nuno Caldeira nunocapelocaldeira at gmail.com
Sun Jun 9 18:19:42 UTC 2019

> Of course the OSM community does not depend on the OSMF to clearly
> communicate to Facebook that their insulting behaviour is not
> acceptable and that it will cost them a lot more economically in the
> long term to continue acting this way than anything they might hope to
> gain from it.

We are not talking about a simple company, we are actually talking about
a company that is a Gold Corporate Member of OSMF and have sponsored a
few events [1]. So if they are not aware of the license something is
clearly wrong in "showing their long term support to our organisation"
and "In doing so they are helping to keep OpenStreetMap's servers
running, supporting the work of our volunteer working groups, and above
all showing their support for OpenStreetMap" [2].

source:

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Facebook_(company)

[2] https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Corporate_Members

> And with at the moment at least four out of seven OSMF board members
> having ties to big organizational OSM data users/contributors ... well,
> as we say in German:  Eine Krähe hackt der anderen kein Auge aus.

Are those ties public? Are they connected to any of the corporate
members of OSMF?

And quoting
https://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/Licence/Historic/We_Are_Changing_The_License