[OSM-talk] Terminate Facebook rights under ODbL

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Jun 10 08:16:46 UTC 2019

sent from a phone

> On 10. Jun 2019, at 02:23, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us> wrote:
>
> Nuno - On a Facebook Android app I checked [1] they also use the "i" symbol with a link to our attribution. I agree that they could do better, when the map is opened up there is space for proper attribution but they only give a very dim "i" symbol, but it is attributed.

yes, mapbox small screen attribution is generally an issue. The reason they do not have or believe they do not have sufficient space for attribution is that they use a quite long string:
“(c) mapbox (c) OpenStreetMap Improve this map”.
MB could, on small screens, waive the textual MB attribution requirement (because there is already a mapbox image logo), and also the “Improve this Map”-link (or expand both on hover/tap), and there would be sufficient space for an always visible (c) OpenStreetMap (plus the mapbox logo).
Or make it 2 rows as fits.
Or hide the Mapbox attribution logo behind a click-to-show-“i”   ;-)

It is not a technical restriction that MB doesn’t show the expanded attribution, it is rather a result of the other UI choices they made.

> On the website, the map is actually very small.

the license doesn’t limit attribution requirements to bigger map sizes, they could put an attribution string below the map if they don’t want it on the map for legibility reasons.
If these small maps were limited to one or two instances they would probably be ok under the substantial guideline, but as there are literally hundreds of millions or even billions of them, we should not let them pass as is.

Ciao, Martin