[OSM-talk] Terminate Facebook rights under ODbL (Andy Mabbett )

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 17:10:05 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 6:17 PM Nuno Caldeira <nunocapelocaldeira at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...] OSMF is the licensor [...]

Well, if we really want to be strict about it, AFAIK, Facebook did not get
their map data directly from OSMF but rather through Mapbox. Mapbox got
their data directly from OSMF and are re-releasing their OSM derivative
database and produced works as vector tiles and static map images via their
APIs and SDKs. This would mean that it is the responsibility of Mapbox to
notify Facebook that FB is not in compliance with the ODbL.

However, I really think it would be interesting to see if OSMF bypassing
Mapbox and directly contacting one of Mapbox's clients is a valid legal
avenue to pursue attribution violations.