[OSM-talk] Proposed mechanical edit - addition of office=diplomatic to amenity=embassy with country=*

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 01:05:06 UTC 2019

The need for a replacement of amenity=embassy was explained in the approved office=diplomatic proposal.

By doing a mechanical edit the work load of mappers is reduced, I would think 50%, and the adoption of the new tag promoted by its evident use.

I missed that office=diplomatic was required with diplomatic=* edits I did some time ago. I think others have done the same.

The use of diplomatic=* has outstripped office=diplomatic even ignoring the starting offset due to previous use before the accepted proposal.

The tagging of diplomatic=* at the moment has little motivation as it is not rendered by many.
Most use the one rendering symbol for all of them.
Determining 'embassy' could be done to some extent by location, in a countries capitol city, and by the name containing 'embassy'.
Determining 'consulate' could be done in a similar manner - outside the capitol city and containing 'consulate'.
There will be exceptions! For these reasons I am not advocating it.
I am reluctant to suggest the mechanical addition of office=diplomatic to diplomatic=* due to the past use of the tag and the more numerous amenity=embassy which was the original motivation for the accepted proposal.