[OSM-talk] Règles d'éditions organisées / Directed editing guidelines

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Tue Jun 25 13:41:44 UTC 2019

On Tuesday 25 June 2019, Frederik Ramm wrote:

> I would ask everyone who is unhappy to see some players short-cut or
> even ignore the rules, to engage with these players, explain to them
> that the guidelines exist and that following them is a demonstration
> of good intentions vis-a-vis the community.

I don't want to discourage anyone from doing that but for me personally
there is no 'assume good faith' w.r.t. organizations in contrast to
individuals.  If an individual human being takes resposibility for
organized editing activities i would be perfectly willing to engage
with them about their edits and giving them the benefit of the doubt
when they make mistakes.  In cases like the ones Severin pointed to
however, in particular if they also ostentatiously reject any personal
responsibility and discourage any direct communication attempts i am
not.

> Things like this take time. [...]

The question is of course how much time does OSM have?  One important
factor that motivated initial discussion on regulating organized
editing activities was the time factor and that organized editing
activities can dominate the map in an area much faster than individual
mappers.

> While I won't dispute that local communities can and should have a
> lot of influence, I think you're speaking prematurely - perhaps you
> are just a bit too eager to see your "predictions" come true ;)

Actually i find it much more enjoyable (and also more educating) if
negative predictions from me turn out to be wrong.  Pointing to my past
predictions does not have the purpose to gloat but to explain why i do
not revisit this point of discussion in detail again.

> Don't just sit there and sigh "it's just how I predicted, the world
> is ending and there's nothing I can do".

My core message was meant to be that we should focus on enabling and
encouraging local communities around the world to take control of the
map locally.  That is very different from "sitting there and waiting
for the world to end".

What i do not want to do is sitting there and hoping for corporations to
discover morality and realizing that in the long term this is more
important than short term profits.  See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scorpion_and_the_Frog

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/