[OSM-talk] iD forces mistagging again

Tomas Straupis tomasstraupis at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 12:08:02 UTC 2019

2019-06-29, št, 14:23 Mateusz Konieczny rašė:
> All "I prefer tag Y over X" are "rule Z is good way to deciding which tag is better" is
> a personal opinion, so I am not sure why you are pointing this out.
> I even started from "I see (...)".

  I pointed that:
  1. Original OpenStreetMap water tagging scheme is used more often - Fact.
  2. Original OpenStreetMap water tagging scheme is used much longer
(from more or less the beginning of the project) - Fact.

  Here I would note that 2nd point is enough to keep original water
scheme and depreciate the new one. Because of data consumers.

> https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/899988/60383077-c001ce00-9a6c-11e9-9aa8-ed43c7851a36.png for a quick check.

  Yes, it says landuse=reservoir is used twice as often.

> (1) most of lead of landuse=reservoir for areas is a result of a bot edit, maybe an import

  How do you know that?

> (2) since 2016 water=reservoir is growing much faster than landuse=reservoir

  Remove "iD effect" and what will we get?

> I already had to revert a number of such changes and
> explain people to ignore such "advices" or switch to a better editor).
> "had to revert" is untrue.

  It is true. There is an old agreement in Lithuania on how we tag
water (predating new water scheme). All code is written according to
that agreement. Fastest way to not brake existing stuff is revert iD
"advice" and give mappers yet one more reason not to use iD.

> Are you manually checking every single part of such edits? Otherwise you
> are making automated edits in violation of automatic edits code of conduct.

 I'm doing QA in Lithuania for more than ten years and then doing
appropriate action: fixing, informing, educating, updating.

> Please stop doing that.

  You cannot simply tell me what to do without giving reasons with at
least as much practical examples as I have.

  And once again, please step out of "commenter" role and try getting
into data consumer role. Commenting takes minutes and you can change
your opinion every five minutes, consuming takes months and years of
hard work and it is much harder to adopt to changes, it is especially
demotivating to be forced to adopt to the changes which give no
benefit.

  Don't change/brake stuff that works.

--
Tomas