[OSM-talk] We need to have a conversation about attribution

Andy Mabbett andy at pigsonthewing.org.uk
Fri Mar 1 00:12:53 UTC 2019

On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 22:35, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:

> "We require that you use the credit “© OpenStreetMap contributors”...
> For a browsable electronic map, the credit should appear in the corner
> of the map."

28 characters. There are many cases, such as mobile phones, where -
depending on user settings - that's either going to be too small to be
readable, or so big it obscures what people need to see.

> Full mea culpa: the /copyright page says "should" rather than "must"
> purely because I wrote the page, I'm British and I, we, talk like that

RFC 2119 is (or would have been) your friend:

   https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt

> So we need to decide what our response is to web/in-app maps that do not
> provide attribution in the manner requested by osm.org/copyright. This
> response might be:

> e) or many other options... fill in your suggestion here :)

f) We move to PD / CC0 licensing.

<G,D&R>

> There has been a lot of chatter over recent years about this issue but
> the issue has never really broken through.

Perhaps because the community (that is, the mapping community, not the
mailing list community) just doesn't care that much - which suggests
your options a or b would apply?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing