[OSM-talk] We need to have a conversation about attribution

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Mar 1 09:51:59 UTC 2019

Am 01.03.2019 um 01:12 schrieb Andy Mabbett:
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2019 at 22:35, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
>
>> "We require that you use the credit “© OpenStreetMap contributors”...
>> For a browsable electronic map, the credit should appear in the corner
>> of the map."
> 28 characters. There are many cases, such as mobile phones, where -
> depending on user settings - that's either going to be too small to be
> readable, or so big it obscures what people need to see.

That is a bit of a myth, it is definitely not true now days and I doubt
it was ever outside of very early feature phones.

I display the attribution text from
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/osmlab/editor-layer-index/gh-pages/sources/world/OpenStreetMap-Mapnik.geojson
(~38 characters) plus a logo plus zoom buttons at the bottom of the
screen on essentially any Android phone I've ever tested  (which for
example includes a 2010 HTC Desire HD) and it fits .

Does having to display the attribution constrain the layout, sure, but
that isn't different than for example if you would be using google, so
not a hardship  that only we are inflicting (and naturally essentially
every imagery layer has attribution requirements that are similar).