[OSM-talk] We need to have a conversation about attribution

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Fri Mar 1 10:48:00 UTC 2019

Am 01.03.2019 um 10:48 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny:
> c) I recommend doing this, I tried mailing Mapbox about their
> license-breaking
> hiding attribution but at first their responded claiming that OSBL
> allows that,
> after quoting that part of them they went back to not responding
>
> d) what would be our options for especially stubborn ones? DMCA filed
> by OSMF?

Just to be clear on this, the OSMF licences use of OSM data and
derivates directly to the "end customer". In this case to the companies
that are using a third parties infrastructure to produce rendered maps
from OSM data. So while we can stipulate an ethical and moral obligation
of the third party to enforce attribution requirements, legally it is an
obligation of the website/service/whatever operator that is a customer
of the third party.

This is btw not specific to the ODbL it is common to many open licences
and is one of the things I don't particularly like as it clearly doesn't
scale.