[OSM-talk] We need to have a conversation about attribution

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Mar 1 11:01:22 UTC 2019

Mar 1, 2019, 11:25 AM by simon at poole.ch:

> And specifically on the issue with Mapbox customers, one of the      results of the 2014 discussions was this statement by Mapbox > https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/lxbarth/diary/21847 <https://www.openstreetmap.org/user/lxbarth/diary/21847>>  which a)      states that the attribution is be default expanded, and b) that      should be the case "> whereever possible" > which in our      understanding>  > limits the use of a default collapsed      attribution to cases where it is physically impossible to show the      expanded version, for example very small map snippets.  In 2014 we      felt that this was acceptable (we don't have an formal statement      on this iirc), and I would go out on a limb and say that it would      still be considered a reasonable guideline.>

This is at best outdated.

https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/mapbox/streets-v9.html?title=true&access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoibWFwYm94IiwiYSI6ImNpejY4M29iazA2Z2gycXA4N2pmbDZmangifQ.-g_vE53SD2WrJ6tFX7QHmA#1.07/-1.4/4.7 <https://api.mapbox.com/styles/v1/mapbox/streets-v9.html?title=true&access_token=pk.eyJ1IjoibWFwYm94IiwiYSI6ImNpejY4M29iazA2Z2gycXA4N2pmbDZmangifQ.-g_vE53SD2WrJ6tFX7QHmA#1.07/-1.4/4.7>

(example from Mapbox itself) on my phone (Xiaomi Redmi 4) is as follows

(a) proper attribution of OpenStreetMap is missing
(b) only Mapbox is properly credited
(c) license of data is not properly stated.
(d) there is enough space to credit source of data

Screenshot is at
https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/899988/51281667-67210a80-19e3-11e9-807a-480de4fa8eea.png <https://user-images.githubusercontent.com/899988/51281667-67210a80-19e3-11e9-807a-480de4fa8eea.png>

I attempted to report it to Mapbox, they initially answered but stopped communicating after
I asked

So in opinion of Mapbox "click to view" attribution hiding is enough to
cover "reasonably calculated to make any Person (...)"?

question on 24th January.