[OSM-talk] We need to have a conversation about attribution

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Sat Mar 2 11:19:08 UTC 2019

On Fri, Mar 01, 2019 at 08:42:52PM +0100, Simon Poole wrote:

> Am 01.03.2019 um 14:57 schrieb Florian Lohoff:
> > So please either enforce the ODbL or relicense to CC0.
>
> It is not a surprise that you are asking that, but just consider what
> the world would be like if we only had laws that could guaranteed to be
> 100% enforced.

The point is that the relicensing to ODbL brought tons of complicated
issues to ALL of us - CT is just one of it. Usability of other datasets
just another.

But the very single it should have fixed is a 100% fail due to not
enforcing it. Data consumers still do attribute at will and nobody seems
to be willing to do anything against it. Yes - we talk nicely - but in
the end nobody is willing to drag them to court. And THAT was the first
question i had when we talked about relicensing.

Me personally i am more annoyed by the complicated ODbL than non
attribution of data consumers. You dont make good citizens and community
members by license - If you think a license will fix it - enforce it.

I'd be happy to relicense to CC0 (I have put all my contributions to PD
anyway) and at least get rid of all of the issues for the individual
mapper.

Flo