[OSM-talk] We need to have a conversation about attribution

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Sat Mar 2 19:40:46 UTC 2019

I'm happy there's ODbL. If we would have PD/CC0, we probably would
have a farce discussion, standing helpless to license violators.

Having said this, I'm proactively supporting the use of OSM of
startups and companies, as well as in open source, government and
research.

Richard had a clear question:
> So we need to decide what our response is to web/in-app maps that do not
> provide attribution in the manner requested by osm.org/copyright. This
> response might be:
>
> a) we are happy for attribution to be behind a credits screen and we
> will update our requirements to say so
> b) we will informally tolerate attribution being behind a credits screen
> but we do not intend to update our requirements
> c) we are not happy for attribution to be behind a credits screen and we
> will update our requirements to say so
> d) we are not happy for attribution to be behind a credits screen and we
> will update our requirements to say so, and we will proactively seek out
> data consumers that contravene these requirements
> e) ...

Having ODbL in place nothing prevents OSMF to take legal actions
against blatant license violators. There's currently IMHO no hurry
there.

So, I'm in favor of c) not happy for attribution to be behind a
credits screen in _general_ (see exceptions below), and I'm in favor
of updating our requirements to say so.

My wording suggestion is 1. to update the requirements in a decisive
way (MUST vs. SHOULD) and 2. enumerate exceptions, like for mobile
phones requiring (one click away) credits screen.

I acknowledge there are graphic design restrictions and suggest
everybody to read [e.g. 1] about font type sizes. This gives an idea
about the text font size we could require.

:Stefan

[1] https://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2015/09/type-sizes-for-every-device.php