[OSM-talk] How to save Overpass query results to a GeoJSON file with Python?

Carlos Cámara Menoyo ccamara at pm.me
Mon Mar 11 10:18:48 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

I have just started to use Python and I would like to make a query to Overpass and store the results in a geospatial format (e.g. GeoJSON) so I can programatically update the data.

As far as I know, there is a library called overpy that should be what I am looking for. After reading [its documentation](https://python-overpy.readthedocs.io/en/latest/example.html) I came up with the following code:

import

overpy

API

=

overpy

.

Overpass

()

# Fetch highways within Granollers' city.

result

=

API

.

query

(

"""
    area[name="Granollers"][admin_level=8];
    // query part for: “highway=*”
    (way["highway"](area);
    relation["highway"](area);
    );
    // print results
    out body;
    """

)

The thing is that I am not familiar at all with Python and I don't know how to store result as a GeoJSON file (Honestly, I don't even know what kind of thing result is -I tried with type(result) and I get overpy.Result as an output, which doesn't mean much to my poor knowledge). I have been reading overpy documentation but I haven't been able to figure it out.

Can anyone give me a clue with this?

Carlos Cámara-Menoyo
https://carloscamara.es