[OSM-talk] trash racks in front or after waterway=culvert

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 01:30:27 UTC 2019

Best list for this is tagging at openstreetmap.org

> for installations (trash racks / screens)
> like this:
>> http://www.bonn.de/imperia/md/images/umwelt-gesund-planen-bauen-wohn/plan-bau-wohn/tiefbauamt/endenicher_bach_2014_01_w.jpg
>> http://www.halcyon-solutions.co.uk/RFWT/se2641.jpg
>> https://awmawater-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/automated_trash_rack_debris_drawing_awma.jpg
>
> Basically a structure immersed the water,

Immersed in water in your area of the world. Here they are frequently dry ... only having water in storms.

>   to collect trash, keep
> culverts from jamming and (sometimes) people from getting sucked into
> the culvert.
>
> These installations have certain properties like barriers, so I would
> classify them as barrier=trash_rack (but there are only two instances of
> it (source: taginfo) - so I wouldn't say it is defined by usage).

They need to be nodes on a waterway or ways across a waterway.

They are also man made .. so could be tagged man_made=something ... screen?
Screen=* is inuse for the number of viewing screens in cinemas. Should not cause confusion?

> There are also different forms of this kind of barrier.
> alignment- slanted or not or ...;

> material- metal or net or ...;

Some ideas here ..
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Fence_attributes

I would separate out the material (usually metal) from the structure (chain link, bar, mesh, etc)

> have they mechanical components for automated cleaning...

Lets concentrate on one bit at a time?