[OSM-talk] Your thoughts on osm.org

Christoph Hormann osm at imagico.de
Tue Mar 12 18:29:28 UTC 2019

On Tuesday 12 March 2019, Martijn van Exel wrote:

> Imagine the openstreetmap.org home page, but without the map.
> What would the home page be about instead?

You have to ask?  Cat content obviously:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Lolcat.png

Seriously though, OpenStreetMap without map might not be the best idea.

I would like to see more different maps on osm.org and to make the
standard style look better in the starting configuration when newcomers
visit the site.  Better here means better cartography and better
representation of what OSM is about.  This is challenging though which
deters many people from engaging in serious work in that field.

Creating a starting page that well represents the OSM community in its
diversity would be very hard to do with a non map/maps based design.
The likeliness that ultimately such a design caters primarily certain
special interests - if for no other reason then because it would likely
be designed in English and then translated and thereby transport a
British/American cultural preference - is very high and very difficult
to avoid.

Note a map based starting page does not mean other content is not
offered on it.  Rethinking what further content and functions are
directly accessible from the starting page makes a lot of sense.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/