[OSM-talk] Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - blatant tagging for the renderer

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Mar 23 12:28:01 UTC 2019

Mar 23, 2019, 1:04 PM by ajt1047 at gmail.com:

> On 3/23/19 11:46 AM, Mateusz Konieczny      wrote:
>

>> Mar 23, 2019, 9:59 AM by >> simon at poole.ch <mailto:simon at poole.ch>>> :
>>

>>> ...  Producing false updates (aka no real content) just          obscures that fact and makes it more difficult to determine          which areas need to be revisted.
>>>

>> It seems to me as not a real        problem. There are many, many different indicators of such        places
>> and automatic edits are        suitable to remove only very small part of them.
>>

> It's a real problem, for a couple of reasons - one is that "this      object might be out of date" warnings in e.g. Vespucci won't      trigger

Is it really a problem? It is only heuristic and there was no place where I ever mapped that
I had problem because I run out of obvious indicators that something needs to be fixed, resurveyed
or remapped.

>  and the other is that by definition automated edits don't      look to see if the object being edited was sensible.  "Not      sensible"might mean "a shop in the middle of the sea", "a peak at      the bottom of a quarry" or "an unfeasible park added for Pokemon      purposes" (perhaps one that covers an obviously residential area).

All that things can be easily found - again, there are endless queues of blatantly obvious
mistaggings. And all mentioned examples would be trivial to automatically detect (I would even
add detecting this problems to standard tools if running out of things to fix would be
problem in any region).

> With a DWG hat on it falls to me more than most to remove      unfeasible data, and that's much harder to do if someone has been      "correcting" it in the mean time.

OK, that is something that I understand. Making reverts more complicated is separate topic
where I agree that edits like this may make things harder.

> In the specific case of "osmarender:nameDirection" using "natural      wastage" by deleting when next edited sounds a better way to do      it.

I opened https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/17512 <https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/17512> (if it will pass I will open equivalents
for iD and Vespucci).

For me it works as well, if human mappers will not see this tag ever again it works almost as well
for me and fixes the biggest problem.