[OSM-talk] Proposed mechanical edit - elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - blatant tagging for the renderer

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Sat Mar 23 17:17:30 UTC 2019

Am 23.03.2019 um 13:28 schrieb Mateusz Konieczny:

> Mar 23, 2019, 1:04 PM by ajt1047 at gmail.com:
>

>     On 3/23/19 11:46 AM, Mateusz Konieczny wrote:
>>

>>     Mar 23, 2019, 9:59 AM by simon at poole.ch <mailto:simon at poole.ch>:
>>
>>         ...  Producing false updates (aka no real content) just
>>         obscures that fact and makes it more difficult to determine
>>         which areas need to be revisted.
>>
>>     It seems to me as not a real problem. There are many, many
>>     different indicators of such places
>>     and automatic edits are suitable to remove only very small part
>>     of them.
>>
>     It's a real problem, for a couple of reasons - one is that "this
>     object might be out of date" warnings in e.g. Vespucci won't trigger
>
> Is it really a problem? It is only heuristic and there was no place
> where I ever mapped that
> I had problem because I run out of obvious indicators that something
> needs to be fixed, resurveyed
> or remapped.

Time since last edit is the only -non- heuristic measure of staleness in
OSM. There are other ways to determine this, but they are are an order
of magnitude more involved (essentially you need to retrieve prior
versions and start comparing tags and geometries). And I wasn't even
thinking specifically of Vespucci in this case (in principle for
Vespucci it could be worked around by setting a fake survey_date in a
mass edit).

And to repeat, I'm not against removing tags when they are really an
issue. For example last year we removed note tags from the locations of
the major car sharing operation in Switzerland, roughly a 1'000 objects,
because they indicated that the objects shouldn't be edited (originally
they were imported), but there is no need to do so just for superficial
aesthetic reasons, just as other normalisation for the sake of
normalisation is contra productive in an OSM context.

> I opened https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/17512 (if it will pass I
> will open equivalents
> for iD and Vespucci).

You don't need to do anything separate for Vespucci, simply make a PR
against https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/blob/master/data/discarded.json

Simon