[OSM-talk] Questionnaire

John Whelan jwhelan0112 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 23 14:43:23 UTC 2019

I get the feeling that we could collect some baseline data for these
types of surveys.

I'm thinking of tools used to add data.  Streetcomplete, JOSM, iD,
potlatch, the reason is the "Skill" level needed to use the tool.  ie
since x% of edits are made by streetcomplete you may not need a PhD in
cartography to add to the project.

I don't know if we record the Internet address of contributors and I
wouldn't like to see the full address being made available but a country
code might be useful.

Also the average life of a contributor.  I think we see some who
contribute once to six times then disappear and that means they aren't
available to survey.

Making this information available would hopefully at least mean more
relevant questions.

Ideally we could run our own three/six monthly survey to collect
baseline data but setting it up and getting a representative sample is
hard work.

Cheerio John

Tobias Knerr wrote on 2019-03-23 7:41 AM:
> On 23.03.19 12:05, John Whelan wrote:
>> You posted the same message in the HOT mailing list.
> The same message was also sent to personal mail addresses of OSM
> contributors yesterday, presumably scraped from mailing list archives.
>
> Additionally, it was posted to several other lists on the lists.osm.org
> server – including ones where it is quite off-topic, like the mostly
> dead "party" list¹.
>
> Overall, this is the 5th time I'm receiving a copy of this questionnaire
> link. I can't help but feel we need to encourage a better approach for
> polling the OSM community. Preferably one that also involves some
> feedback from people with OSM experience before the survey is sent out.
>
> Tobias

Sent from Postbox