[OSM-talk] iD invents nosquare=yes for buildings which should not be squared

Jmapb jmapb at gmx.com
Thu May 9 22:46:01 UTC 2019

On 5/9/2019 6:21 PM, Michael Reichert wrote:

> JOSM runs its validation rules only on objects modified or created in
> the current session. This seems more sensible both for experienced users
> and newbies for two reasons:
>
> - Uses don't get overwhelmed with dozens or hundreds of reports on
>    objects they did not touch.

This makes perfect sense, and in fact I see that "Almost right angle
buildings" is still in my JOSM validator option list, and still
checked.  I don't know what caused the rash of building squaring that I
saw in NYC -- perhaps the sensitivity was adjusted at some point? I
haven't had this validation error come up in my own work for a long time.

> - If users follow suggestions how to fix blindly (we cannot expect an
>    unexperienced iD user to have the same knowledge as the average JOSM
>    user), they are used as living bots running validation rules on
>    randomly selected areas of the map. One might call this a hidden
>    automated edit.
>
> In difference, iD runs its validation rules on all loaded objects.
> https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/6332#issuecomment-490494331

That's a good way to describe a lot of iD's effects in general --
mappers become living bots implementing the iD devs' ideas, under the
impression that these are the official recommendations of the OSM project.

Jason