[OSM-talk] iD invents nosquare=yes for buildings which should not be squared

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Fri May 10 00:46:44 UTC 2019

Michael Reichert <osm-ml at michreichert.de> writes:

> JOSM runs its validation rules only on objects modified or created in
> the current session. This seems more sensible both for experienced users
> and newbies for two reasons:

That seems like the right thing to do.

> - Uses don't get overwhelmed with dozens or hundreds of reports on
>   objects they did not touch.
>
> - If users follow suggestions how to fix blindly (we cannot expect an
>   unexperienced iD user to have the same knowledge as the average JOSM
>   user), they are used as living bots running validation rules on
>   randomly selected areas of the map. One might call this a hidden
>   automated edit.

It is very definitely an automated edit, and it is irresponsible to
deploy such a thing without going through the mechanical edit policy.

Obviouusly squaring all buildings would fail as a proposed mechanical
edit, because there is no basis to believe that this is almost always an
improvement.