[OSM-talk] Remove validation rule asking to add highway=footway to railway/public_transport=platform

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue May 28 08:13:38 UTC 2019

Am 27.05.2019 um 12:58 schrieb Christoph Hormann:
> ..
> I think this is a too limited view of the options the OSM community has.
I don't think I claimed to explore every possible sub-variant.
> I in particular see:
>
> * a wide range of possibilities to offer iD on osm.org but not exactly
> what is being released without creating and maintaining a complete
> fork.

A fork is a fork is a fork. As the iD presets are relatively closely
tied to the way they are used in the app, making changes to them in
isolation over a longer period of time is going to be difficult, and
without cooperation from the devs IMHO pointless (and if we had that we
wouldn't be having this discussion). I quote an iD dev "Be aware that
the preset schema can change fairly often to suit the needs of iD."

> * a wide range of options for regulatory measures, not only on
> the 'developer behaviour regulation' front (which i have serious
> trouble with) but also on the technical level by requiring certain
> modularization so things like presets or validation rules can be easily
> replaced or disabled by deployments.

I didn't expand on what such rules could look like, clearly they could
be based on technical requirements, but that wouldn't be less invasive
than putting some behavioural norms in place.

In the end the real issue is that there are no actual consequences for
undesired behaviour, its not the first time this discussion has
happened, and it is just as with kids you let it slip through and the
next time they try a bit more, till you have a completely untenable
situation. Rolling back a couple of months of work implies that those
holding the purse strings (whoever they may be) didn't get what they
were paying for and that, perhaps, might get some attention.

Simon

PS: there seem to be at least a few other cases similar to the issue
mentioned in the title, just a bit less prominent, so the presets
probably should be fully vetted before (re-)deployment.