[OSM-talk] Remove validation rule asking to add highway=footway to railway/public_transport=platform

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue May 28 08:32:08 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 27.05.19 12:07, Simon Poole wrote:
> As I see it we can choose between

[...]

> - deploy from a forked iD that is selective with respect to which
> commits are integrated (IMHO too much work)

I think this would definitely be the healthiest and most common-sense
approach for the community. Letting an unchecked third party forge ahead
with iD was good in the beginning but now we need some checks and
balances in place to ensure that what the OSMF brandishes as the
"default editor" is actually reflecting community consensus.

It's totally ok if the developers don't want to be bothered with having
to find out what the community consensus is(*) - this is hard enough
even for the community itself.

Perhaps it is possible to have a forked iD that does not work by
meticulously cherry-picking every new change that is added to iD
(because that would be too much work), but instead - a bit like the
mechanisms when building a Debian or Ubunutu package - we could have
some patches that we routinely apply to iD before it goes live on our site.

We could use this contentious "tag upgrade" as a test balloon to
establish the new workflow: iD releases new version -> patch team
applies existing patches -> community review -> if necessary, new
patches are made -> patch team releses -> OSMF website deploys.

Bye
Frederik

(*) Though the way they have let us know their disdain for what I feel
is the community really isn't very mature and I think that Andy is right
in pointing out that an apology is in order -
https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/6442 - unless of course the
the iD project's Code of Conduct has some magic "does not apply to
maintainers" feature.