[OSM-talk] Remove validation rule asking to add highway=footway to railway/public_transport=platform

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue May 28 08:51:07 UTC 2019

28 May 2019, 10:32 by frederik at remote.org:

> Hi,
>
> On 27.05.19 12:07, Simon Poole wrote:
>
>> As I see it we can choose between
>>

> [...]
>
>> - deploy from a forked iD that is selective with respect to which
>> commits are integrated (IMHO too much work)
>>

> I think this would definitely be the healthiest and most common-sense
> approach for the community. Letting an unchecked third party forge ahead
> with iD was good in the beginning but now we need some checks and
> balances in place to ensure that what the OSMF brandishes as the
> "default editor" is actually reflecting community consensus.
>
> It's totally ok if the developers don't want to be bothered with having
> to find out what the community consensus is(*) - this is hard enough
> even for the community itself.

I agree, it is perfectly fine to not spend time on researching what community
wants and judging what is the consensus (it is stressful, takes massive amount
of time and in general there is always an unhappy group and it is quite hard to
decide whatever one did it the right way and it n worse in cases when
one also proposed/spearheaded solution that (s)he is now promoting etc etc).

But in the same way it is also perfectly fine to deploy forked iD version
or some other editor as default on the OSM homepage.