[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Attribution guideline status update

Kathleen Lu kathleen.lu at mapbox.com
Thu Oct 31 17:29:09 UTC 2019

I concur with KaiRo that screenshots are likely fair uses under US law (and
IAAL). They are small excerpts of the larger work (the map, or if you are
comparing to the database, even less is copied), the underlying work is
factual, the purpose is to provide an example and there is a good argument
the screenshot is noncommercial, and there is no impact on the market for
the original.

Even before you get to a fair use analysis, I would note that with a
screenshot, there would also be the question of whether the screenshot
contained enough copyrightable subject matter from OSM to be considered
more than *de minimus*. Remember that the US does not have protections for
databases, outside of thin copyright protection for the selection and
arrangement of the database as a whole.

I would also note that I do not think a *screenshot* from a map created
from a geodatabase would be considered "derivative work" under US copyright
law (note that "derivative work" is a defined statutory term, so I'm not
talking about the definition in ODbL). Rather, it would appear to be a
small excerpt.

I'm curious as to the reason for your doubts, Nuno. Are you aware of case
law to the contrary?