[OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] Attribution guideline status update

Joseph Eisenberg joseph.eisenberg at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 00:03:17 UTC 2019

In the case of 10 sources with ODbL attribution requirements, I would
still prefer that (c)Openstreetmap be included on the rendering,
because this is the only ODbL project that is totally free and open
and created by individual volunteers, as far as I am aware.

Government-created databases have already been paid for by taxpayers,
and will not stop existing if no one knows about them. But
Openstreetmap needs new contributors, so we need people to know that
we exist.

However, as I mentioned above, I'm fine with providing a link to ALL
copyright and attribution notices, when it's physically impossible to
attribute them all properly due to limited space.

This means that there can't be a "facebook" or "Mapbox" logo on the
map: just a link "copyright attribution" or "data sources" (or "i" if
it's a tiny 100x100 pixel map) - ideally this would pop up without
needing to click, if it's online.

If the map renderer wants to include their logo, then they must
include (c)Openstreetmap as well (or perhaps (c)OSM if it's a tiny
200*200 pixel / 2cm*2cm map and their own logo is tiny)

If the map renderer wants to include a link to their website or any
other website on the online or rendered map, then they have to include
a link to Openstreetmap.org. Full stop.

Please provide a practical real-world example where these requirements
are impossible to meet, if I'm mistaken.

- Joseph Eisenberg