[OSM-talk] Attribution guideline status update

Nuno Caldeira nunocapelocaldeira at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 17:08:46 UTC 2019

Today i was check the maps on their website and noticed they have a
report button, which i thought would create a note on OSM. Oh i was
wrong, no note on OSM, wonder where that report will go to. Also quite
funny that once you submit you get a message "your feedback help us to
*_make Facebook maps_* better for everyone"....had that ahah moment.
Example i just done, feel free to try it yourself on the so called
Facebook Maps https://youtu.be/FF6rOOO51Ig

If anyone can reach them and ask them where that report goes i would
like to know. I could email them, but they still haven't replied to
several of my emails.

Another great example of promoting the growth of open data by corporate
member of OSMF. Great citizens of OSMF.

These loopholes are already being exploited, especially from corporate
members of OSMF Mapbox (they have several articles, medium tutorials and
such where's no attribution) and Facebook. Which is a shame, as they are
well aware of the spirit of OSM.

Oh and by the way, today makes one year i first sent an email to
Facebook asking to comply.
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2019-March/082147.html

Also makes 3 months i have asked the board to terminate Facebook rights
under ODbL (no decision as fair as i know)
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2019-June/082653.html

Meanwhile, Facebook did attribute on some maps, not on all. Evidence
gathered in July of no attribution, that i just confirmed still not
fixed. The most hilarious is their app Local, which uses OSM data but
there's a reasonable calculated logo of HERE on the left corner of the
map https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1B5AF2i0Go5_jQfuoO26d5mfbi0XE-vg_