[OSM-talk] Attribution guideline status update

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Mon Sep 9 15:05:50 UTC 2019

9 Aug 2019, 10:41 by simon at poole.ch:

> As we've mentioned multiple times over the last months, the LWG decided
> last year to consolidate all attribution guidance in to one document

In general I would explicitly state in
document itself that it is not waiving
any rules from ODBL and is unable to impose any new restrictions.

And that it is merely interpretation of
the ODBL licence in form more readable and useful to a typical person

"It is permissible to use a mechanism to collapse the attribution as long as it is initially fully visible"

This is a second major loophole.

Mapsme is already showing attribution
for second or two after startup (startup is very long,
so user is extremely unlikely to notice and
read brief appearance of text).

I have no good idea how to close it.
I would recommend removal of this part.

"If multiple static images appear on the same webpage, one instance of attribution is sufficient."

"for the most prominent item, with wording
clearly covering all static images with
OSM data" is missing, otherwise you
would be allowed to add harmless
attribution to last image that no-one will notice.

------

"In accordance with the Substantial Guideline, static images of areas less 10’000 m2"

This is extremely surprising to me.
 Where in ODBL licence attribution is
waived for all small areas? I can find cases
where so small areas will have
substantial data that is valuable and represents
significant work of OSM mappers.

Though given that it is just quoting something
else it may be a poor moment to change this.