[OSM-talk] Tagging Governance

Roland Olbricht roland.olbricht at gmx.de
Thu Sep 12 05:02:20 UTC 2019

Hello everybody,

first of all, I am grateful that the responses have all been calm and
well-thought. I will make room in the session to document the results of
this discussion.

> Changing to a github-like system of version management

I thought of Git, not Github.

This is an important distinction: Git is as decentralized as possible -
whenever one works with a repo one gets the full data and history of the
project to the local disk drive.

The point about Git is that it groups related changes over multiple
files in a single structure called commit. This is opposed to the
Mediawiki approach which keeps changes to files in strict isolation.
Thus the question is: are contradictions between pages a problem? If yes
then a holisitic toolset may do better, if not then the holistic tool
has no advantage in this regard.

Opposed to this, Github is a profit oriented company essentially
offering web storage in a fancy way. Relying on Github or similar for
crucial ressources of OpenStreetMap is a no-no: Even if Github's geniune
business interests do not conflict with our needs, politics come into
play. Github had been targeted by 3rd country internet censoring, US
export restrictions, frivolous and substantial takedown requests, and
probably more. For the same reason I consider the silent integration of
Wikimedia resources into our Wiki for problematic: the last outage is
only a couple of days away, and has been neither to blame on Wikimedia
nor under their control. Yet it affected the usability of our Wiki.

Best regards,

Roland