[OSM-talk] MS GitHub? | Re: Tagging Governance

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 09:33:10 UTC 2019

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 11:27 PM Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If someone's less familiar with something, they're likely to volunteer to
> contribute using it.  It doesn't matter if it's Markdown, TeX (is that
> still a thing?  I last used it 30-odd years ago) or the solution du jour -
> anything that "needs learning" is an extra step to be dealt with before
> useful contribution can take place.

I think the beauty of Markdown is that it provides a really low barrier to
entry. People can still write plain text and it would still be valid
Markdown. And there is very little a non-Markdown-versed user can do mess
it up so that what they want to say is rendered unintelligible.
Furthermore, the OSM website extensively uses Markdown (the kramdown
variant) in the user diaries, comments, and inter-user messaging so it's
not as if we are introducing a markup language that is unknown for the
experienced OSM user.