[OSM-talk] stalking, or stepping on someone's toes (area) ?

Oleksiy Muzalyev oleksiy.muzalyev at bluewin.ch
Sat Sep 21 06:16:15 UTC 2019

It is also possible to see changes in a certain area at this page:
https://simon04.dev.openstreetmap.org/whodidit/

If you do an on-the-ground survey of bus stops you can use some quality
tools. For example, a GPS handheld device Garmin eTrex Touch 35, a
portable digital camera Sony RX100, a portable quad-copter for aerial
images DJI Spark with a portable helipad (no affiliation to any). This
equipment fits into a small urban backpack and lasts forever. Or you can
use just a smartphone with a photo-camera.

You can make quality HD images of bus stops, so that their titles are
readable. Then apply the geographical coordinates from the GPS handheld
device to the images, - it could be done automatically. The aerial
images from Spark do have coordinates by itself. You may publish these
images to the Wikimedia commons category for this village or a district
of a town, and add the image link to the bus stop on the OSM map.

So your survey would be well documented, and it would be hard to argue
that there is no bus stop at this place, if you provide the ground photo
of the stop with the stop's name and the GPS coordinates, an aerial
image of this stop, so that its location relative to other objects is
clearly visible.

You can also go around the bus stop 3 - 4 times slowly while recording a
GPS trace with the GPS handheld device. The you can publish this GPS
trace to the OpenStreet map. And you and others will see clearly where
the bus stop is located.

It would be much better then go into the logic of "my word against his
word".

Best regards,
Oleksiy (Alex-7 at OSM)