[OSM-talk] remove the suggestion to credit "contributors"

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 19:06:57 UTC 2020

Am Fr., 17. Apr. 2020 um 20:50 Uhr schrieb Richard Fairhurst <
richard at systemed.net>:

> "contributors" because I wanted to communicate the nature of the project:
> this is an open map with (plural) contributors. Contrast with the
> attribution for other map data suppliers which just have a corporate brand:
> "TomTom", "Navteq" (as it was), "Ordnance Survey". By saying "OpenStreetMap
> contributors", we communicate that the map has many contributors - and,
> implicitly, you could be one too. So it serves as a recruiting sergeant for
> OSM, while conveying the democratic, grassroots nature of the project. To
> my
> mind the main driver for attribution has always been to get more
> contributors and make the map better.
>
> I'm past caring what it says now, but thought the original rationale might
> be helpful.

it is helpful, while on the other hand, our current copyright page points
to the "contributors" page, which is a long list of public data providers,
generally institutional:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors

Maybe we should extend this list by the usernames of everybody who has made
at least 1 contribution?

Is it really "impossible to adequately acknowledge the many individuals who
survey their neighbourhoods with GPS and notepad, or trace over licensed
satellite imagery," ?

Cheers
Martin