[OSM-talk] It's time to manage libraries properly in OSM

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 01:07:10 UTC 2020

Some questions..

Who will use this information in OSM?
In particular ISIL information appears to be, in Australia, for contact
between libraries and they will already have systems in place for that
so adding that information may not help anyone.

The library collection (books/films/etc), use
(academic/history/faimily_history etc) may be of interest but again ..
who will use it within OSM?

The operator would give some indication as to if the library is public,
academic, private, etc.
The opening hours data can be usefull too.
And a website.

On 21/4/20 6:00 am, Christian Rogel wrote:
> We are generally aware of the importance of the libraries, as they are
> numerous and useful by their variety (public, academic, specialized,
> school…).
> But, why they have been so neglected by us, the mappers, seing them on
> the ground, getting maybe frequently in ?
> So poors are the tags for describing them.
>
> Yes, you can add the address, the phone, the opening hours and a few
> precisions. See ameniy = library
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dlibrary>
> But, you cannot indicate which public is admitted, if most of the
> collection is visible, which kind of documents is displayed and/or
> lended, and so on…
>
> I suggest that every person capable proposes some categorization and
> enriches the wiki page above.

There should be consensus with the tagging used so as not to have a
single tag (such as library:type=*) used for many different things -
e.g. the media book/film/audio/maps together with the access
public/private/permissive/customer/staff and then the 'importance'
national/international/local/state. This would be better discussed on
the tagging list where those more concerned with tagging gather.

> From a few hours discussion on the French OSM list, we were looming
> around using «  library:for = {public targeted} and library_collection.
> But, there are more than 2 angles in library and information services.
>
> Note : a map of the libraries in the world
> <https://librarymap.ifla.org/map> was launched years ago by the
> International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA), but we do not
> see any location, the figures per countries only.
> Let us remember the huge number of 2.6 M libraries registered. The
> French version on Google Map displays 162 locations.

While the 2.6 M is a number some of the entries (singular) represent a
number of small local libraries in a shire/council area so the actual
number of libraries is higher.