[OSM-talk] It's time to manage libraries properly in OSM

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Tue Apr 21 13:22:13 UTC 2020

Andrew Harvey <andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com> writes:

> Currently we can already mark if the library is open to the public on not
> (access=yes means open to the general public), but it's unclear how say a
> school library or library restricted to attendees of an educational
> facility like a university should be tagged (is it access=private since
> only those people attending the institution have been given permission?

If a library is open only to registered students, then access=private is
in order.

I don't think access=customers is valid.   If there is a restaurant that
is open to the public, and they have a parking lot, and you can only
park in it if you are going to the restaurant, then access=customers
makes sense.

A key point for access=customers is that anybody may choose to be a
customer.  If you can't decide to be a customer, that's what private
means.

Arguably, the most important things to do are:

  ensure that all open-to-public libraries are on the map

  ensure that rendering and search de-emphasizes access=private libraries