[OSM-talk] wat | Re: Roadmap for deprecation of name tags in OSM

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Sun Aug 9 14:07:40 UTC 2020

On 09.08.20 10:25, pangoSE wrote:
> I suggest we create a roadmap for deprecating of storing and updating
> names in OSM for objects with a Wikidata tag.

Get rid of the “name” tag(s) in OSM? Absolutely not.

It makes everything massively more complicated, there is very little
benefit, and Wikidata's CC0 licence allows data to be privatised, unless
the commons nature of OSM's ODbL.

Why not get rid of the `wikidata` tag and instead merge all wikidata
attributes into OSM tags instead? Then things become easier to deal with.

Rory