[OSM-talk] Call for verification (Was: Re: VANDALISM !)

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 09:36:07 UTC 2020

On Sat, 22 Aug 2020 at 18:28, pangoSE <pangose at riseup.net> wrote:

> Hi 😀
>
> Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com> skrev: (22 augusti 2020
> 09:55:10 CEST)
> >"It a playground with half-ass quality more than an authoritative and
> >verified source of information (like e.g. Wikipedia)"
> >
> >I am not sure whatever you claim that
> >Wikipedia is
> >"playground with half-ass quality" or
> >"authoritative and verified source of information".
>
> I meant that a verification system does exist in Wikipedia and they now
> require references on all statements to keep up the quality of the articles
> which is sane IMO. We have no such system.

I do think OSM is slowly moving to such a system, at least in areas that
have an active community and are well mapped. I try to collect Mapillary
imagery and one of the reasons is it provides a reference for my change,
other's who do the same make the data quality a bit higher because others
can verify remotely from the imagery.

If I see a suspicious change, I'll post a changeset comment asking if they
are sure and if it changed recently especially when I have visited there
recently and seems unlikely it would have changed since.