[OSM-talk] Call for verification (Was: Re: VANDALISM !)

Shawn K. Quinn skquinn at rushpost.com
Sat Aug 22 22:23:51 UTC 2020

On 8/22/20 03:20, Mateusz Konieczny via talk wrote:
> Nobody claims OpenStreetMap data contains no mistakes.

There are a lot of cases where OSM data is better than that in Google
Maps, Mapquest, Bing Maps, etc. Unfortunately there are also a lot of
cases where the converse is true; in particular, we have almost no
addressing data save for the few places where dedicated mappers have
added it via exhausting on-foot surveys (not to be confused with
exhaust*ive* surveys, speaking from experience here) or gotten lucky
enough to score a compatible import.

To its credit, Vespucci at least tells mappers "object may be out of
date" when it has sat unedited for over a year. I have missed
out-of-date data sitting right under my nose, the best example of this
being the Whitehall Hotel in downtown Houston (finally noticed and fixed
a while back).

> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Notes are designed as tool allowing to
> describe incorrect data that someone is unable or unwilling to fix (and
> yes, we have thousands of reports of mistakes)

I have also used notes (and seen the notes feature used by others) to
quickly note business information that I can't add in Vespucci or
another app right then and there. Yes, I do close a lot of my own notes,
and I suspect I'm not the only one.

http://www.rantroulette.com
http://www.skqrecordquest.com