[OSM-talk] I’m running for OSMF board and I’ve set up office hours for questions

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Tue Dec 1 17:12:15 UTC 2020

(1)
In 2019 you answered

"we’re moving toward a consolidated approach to maps at Facebook. Thus, you will soon
see us take a more uniform approach to the way we handle attribution across all map
surfaces across the company"

to question[1] about illegal OSM data use (without proper attribution) by Facebook, MAPS.ME
and Moovit[2].

Do you consider current attribution used by Facebook as sufficient and displayed to all users,
as required by ODBL license?

(2)
Would you recuse yourself from cases where there is conflict of interest between OSM
and Facebook?

For example on issues such us
- enforcing attribution requirements
- protecting OSMF from takeover by corporations, such as Facebook
- handling paid/organized editing

?

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/AGM19/Election_to_Board/Answers_and_manifestos
[2] MAPS.ME still has insufficient attribution, with 1.5 sec flash on opening and "MAPS.ME"
attribution otherwise, Moovit fixed its attribution in Android app

Nov 30, 2020, 21:04 by mike at teczno.com: