[OSM-talk] I’m running for OSMF board and I’ve set up office hours for questions

Michal Migurski mike at teczno.com
Wed Dec 2 03:36:24 UTC 2020

Great questions, thanks Mateusz!

I’ll start with #2 because the answer is very straightforward: I would recuse myself from cases where there is a conflict of interest between the OpenStreetMap Foundation and my employer or other organizations whose boards I serve on (currently PlanScore, Facebook, GreenInfo Network, and Digital Democracy).

#1 is a two-parter.

Facebook is in compliance with the ODbL license which requires that attribution be “reasonably calculated to make any Person that uses, views, accesses, interacts with, or is otherwise exposed to the Produced Work aware” of OSM’s contribution to a map. FB’s attribution approach in keeping with best practices seen from other commercial users of display maps.

Parts of the community have expressed a desire to see attribution that goes beyond the ODbL. OSMF and its LWG have been developing new OSM-specific attribution guidelines since late 2019 with proposed rules for different screen sizes, number of clicks, and privileged position of OSM contributors relative to other data sources. Currently, these are not yet finalized. Once these are released, Facebook would revisit attribution decisions in light of the wishes of the OSMF.

I hope this answers your questions!

-mike.

sf/ca            http://mike.teczno.com/contact.html